Sunday, August 20, 2017

Rational or Not - the Sunday Five


The rational and irrational parts of my brain have been warring recently.  Being from very orderly, prim and proper Midwestern roots, the rational side of my brain almost always wins.  In times of stress, the struggle between logic and emotion becomes quite rapacious. 

So are these rational or not?
1: A desire to have dad's 50 year old watch rebuilt? 
2: Spending nearly $400 to have dad's slides and movie film shipped home? 
3: A desire to hop the next plane to Vegas, with a $100 limit on gambling money? 
4: Staying with a bank that is unresponsive to my needs?  
5: Wondering if I am doing the right thing? 

My justifications: 
1: A desire to have dad's 50 year old watch rebuilt?  -  I can remember when dad bought it from a flying buddy in about 1970 for $100, my mother tutted for days over the extravagance, he put it away 20 years ago - deciding it was cheaper to wear cheap watches than have the good one fixed.  
2: Spending nearly $400 to have dad's slides and movie film shipped home? - someone needed to archive this part of the family history and it was either ship them or drive to Florida and pick them up. 
3: A desire to hop the next plane to Vegas, with a $100 limit on gambling money? - normal to want a physical escape from all that is going on - I will resist this one - at least for a couple of months. 
4: Staying with a bank that is unresponsive to my needs?  Hmm, I have been with them 22 years, they have branches in all of the states that I touch in my life. The basics work well, but when I ask for anything outside of the box, they are little help.   
5: Wondering if I am doing the right thing? I am doing things you only do once in a lifetime.  But I am doing them efficiently and making the best decisions I can.  

What do you think, am I being rational or irrational? 

7 comments:

  1. Rational has nothing to do with it. Do what makes you happy. We spent a wad having family slides shipped to us and then having them digitized. Worth every penny! If the watch means something to you, fix it! What the hell kind of fun can you have with $100 in Vegas?!? I saw, screw that bank! I think you are exceptionally rational, by the way. When I grow up, I want to be just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1: do it!
    2: do it!
    3: HELL NO!
    4: switch banks! I belong to a credit union; I LOVE IT!
    5: YOLO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - when you switch banks, make sure you tell the old one exactly why they pissed you off and why they lost your business.

      Delete
  3. 1) Yes. I had my then 35 year old Swiss watch refurbished and was very happy I did. The watch meant something to me and it's a beautiful piece of design.

    2) Yes, I'm still sorting through the old family photos and it's taking forever - and I have no idea who to pass them along to. This is much easier than what I have to deal with.

    3) You could just go across the river.

    4) You deserve better service. If they are not responsive, go somewhere else. There are lots of banks that serve the areas and states you're involved with.

    5) Wondering if you're doing the "right" thing is not helpful, since to do so implies there is an identifiable right and wrong way to do this stuff. There isn't. There are only things that will accomplish what you want either more efficiently, considerately, calmly, etc. So don't worry about "right." You are thoughtful and deliberate by nature, so anything you decide to do in these matters will not be reckless or ill-advised. So don't worry about it. Do what you think best and that will be the "right" thing to do.

    PS: Are those Olympic Beets by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. yes
    2. yes
    3. Vegas baby!
    4. Look around and start the process - lots of options these days.
    5. If you are worried about doing the right thing - you are - it just likely doesn't fit in what people "expect".

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) Rational
    2) Rational
    3) Only $100? That's irrational. At least $500? That's more rational.
    4) Try a credit union. Mine has Co-op so I have a free ATM at every 7-11 nationwide. Leave a small nest egg savings account sitting in the bank of 22 years in case you need them for something in the future.
    5) Always just do your best and learn from any mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1: A desire to have dad's 50 year old watch rebuilt?
    Rational

    2: Spending nearly $400 to have dad's slides and movie film shipped home?
    Rational

    3: A desire to hop the next plane to Vegas, with a $100 limit on gambling money?
    Irrational

    4: Staying with a bank that is unresponsive to my needs?
    Irrational

    5: Wondering if I am doing the right thing?
    Irrational

    ReplyDelete