Sunday, August 27, 2017

Birthday Five


The first picture is me on my paternal grandmother's lap, surrounded by my siblings. It is earliest picture of me, that we have found so far in Mom & Dad's collection.  My guess is this was taken at Thanksgiving, I would have been about 3 months old. 

So, today I have made it another time around the sun - yes it is my birthday.  Before Facebook reminded the world people needed to remember such things. This year I will be in Florida on my birthday.  This was booked as a trip to visit with dad, but he didn't make it.  The trip morphed into a trip to put the house up for sale.  My middle brother is going to take me out to lunch, if he lets me choose the place we will likely go to a place called CrackerJacks, also known as the Troll place, it is located on under a bridge (what lives under a bridge - Trolls.) 

So my Sunday five, on birthdays? 

1: Do you do anything special on your birthday? 
2: Do you look your age? 
3: Have you ever wanted to forget your birthday?
4: Do you know anyone who does not celebrate birthdays? 
5: Do you want anything special for those decennial birthdays?

My answers: 
1: Do you do anything special on your birthday?  I try not to work on my birthday - I was fired on my birthday one year - that will make you want to avoid being in the office on your birthday. 

2: Do you look your age? A lot of my contemporaries look older than I do, but I have aged, a lot in the past 10 years. If I look younger it is good genetics, I certainly haven't take good care of myself. 

3: Have you ever wanted to forget your birthday? Not really, well there was that one year mentioned above. 

4: Do you know anyone who does not celebrate birthdays? I have a colleague who does not recognize birthdays. 

5: Do you want anything special for those decennial birthdays? I have one of those coming up next year - and I am conflicted on wanting to let it pass silently - or doing something memorable.  The day I turned 30 I ran my first Triathlon. 

Your answers? 

8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Penguin!!!!🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈

    1: Do you do anything special on your birthday? Usually dinner and drinks...unless one of two boys are here....then there's a pinch extra! 
    2: Do you look your age?  I SURE HOPE NOT!!!!

    3: Have you ever wanted to forget your birthday? I can't say I have.

    4: Do you know anyone who does not celebrate birthdays? Quite a few people.
     
    5: Do you want anything special for those decennial birthdays? I think a huge trip to a far away land will be in order for the next big one

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, happy birthday!!

    1. Not usually. My dear one usually takes me out to dinner, but that's about it.
    2. I used to look younger than I am, but since gaining a whole bunch of weight then losing it (but have kept it off, yay!) I now look about my age. Oh well.
    3. Yes. The year I turned 60. I just simply could not deal with being 60. My sisters wanted to have a party for me, as did my partner's family, but I was too busy cringing in the corner. Six months later I was okay though but I think it was too late to ask for the parties!
    4. My partner. He never wants to think about it.
    5. You mean I have to start thinking about turning 70? You bastard! Not really, you are one of the sweetest people in blogland. But 70? And less than 3 years to go. Waaaaah! Trying desperately not to hyperventilate here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1: 1 present each from spouse & cats and a seafood dinner
    2: I HOPE NOT! my face might give it away, but no face lifts for me!
    3: when I was growing up, yes
    4: no
    5: not really

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CUTIE! and many many more!

      Delete
  4. I will simply wish you a very happy birthday. Can't believe you'll be 40 next year... I know, I know. I had a friend who, when she turned 40, started counting from 21 again. I haven't seen her in years, but by my reckoning she'd be in her mid-30s (for the third time) by now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off, Happy Happy Birthday ....

    1: Do you do anything special on your birthday? Dinner with friends; I am not a birthday party guy.

    2: Do you look your age? I have been told I do not and I believe them.

    3: Have you ever wanted to forget your birthday? Not really, though I, as I said, am not big on them.

    4: Do you know anyone who does not celebrate birthdays? Not a one!

    5: Do you want anything special for those decennial birthdays? A martini.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, many happy returns on this feast day of your nativity!
    May this next year be your best one yet.

    1: Do you do anything special on your birthday? I too try to take the day off. I like to have a good meal, which is often 'eating out' and nowadays more often than not Indian food.
    2: Do you look your age? I look worse/older .
    3: Have you ever wanted to forget your birthday? never. they are markers of success and achievement.
    4: Do you know anyone who does not celebrate birthdays? many patients. I sometimes educate them to see the birthdays as something few others have seen at their age. Be grateful.
    5: Do you want anything special for those decennial birthdays? A pony.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1) I try to be in Ft Lauderdale Florida by myself on the beach for each birthday. I like to be alone on that day.
    2) I think I look younger, emphasis on "think".
    3) No never wanted to forget one although my parents forgot it one year.
    4) Yes I have one close friend who does not celebrate.
    5) My husband took me to Sydney for the 40th, otherwise nothing special.
    .....oh and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete