Sunday, March 12, 2017

Sunday Five- The Barnyard


As I have explained, I was raised on a funny farm, we didn't have traditional livestock or grow conventional crops.  At the same time, I grew up surrounded by wonderful family farms, and I have to admit I have a real soft spot for historic farming. One of my reasons for visiting Mt. Vernon 10 or more times a year is to see what is growing in the gardens and to take pictures of the livestock.  When I was in Kentucky last month, we visited Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill near Harrodsburg.  Shaker Village has a very nice historic farming operation, when I lived near there I maintained an annual membership.  

So a few barnyard questions: 

1: Is the chicken above a hen or a rooster? 
2: Can you tell what kind of farm animal is in the pasture by seeing the manure? 
3: Have you ever eaten fresh vegetables that you have grown yourself? 
4: Do you buy free range eggs or the cheapest in the supermarket? 
5:  Have you ever driven a tractor in a farm field? 

My answers:
1: Is the chicken above a hen or a rooster?  He was a very proud rooster, he should be a daddy in a few weeks - he was staying "busy" the day we visited. 

2: Can you tell what kind of farm animal is in the pasture by seeing the manure? Most of the time, yes. 

3: Have you ever eaten fresh vegetables that you have grown yourself? Yes, not for a long time.  

4: Do you buy free range eggs or the cheapest in the supermarket? 
I buy free-range, preferably from a local small farmer.  They cost more, taste better, and I know the hens have had a better life. 

5:  Have you ever driven a tractor in a farm field?  Oh yes, a giant four-wheel-drive monster in a 100 acre wheat field in Colorado - 40+ years later it still thrills me to think about it.  

10 comments:

  1. Dear, I am a funny farm! But to answer......
    1- rooster
    2- hell no.
    3-yes, the only thing was cherry tomatoes.
    4- range free for me, unless my neighbor gives me her fresh eggs from he chickens. Which is about every week. Fresh eggs and range free definitely taste better.

    5- drive a tractor? Dear your talking to Lisa Douglas here, not John Deere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1: rooster
    2: cow pies, yes; deer scat, yes
    3: no
    4: the cheapest (heh heh heh, cheep)
    5: I'm a city kid, there are NO tractors for concrete! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1: Is the chicken above a hen or a rooster? I'll go with rooster.

    2: Can you tell what kind of farm animal is in the pasture by seeing the manure? And why would I want to do that????

    3: Have you ever eaten fresh vegetables that you have grown yourself? Yes, they're so much better!

    4: Do you buy free range eggs or the cheapest in the supermarket? We buy free range brown eggs.

    5: Have you ever driven a tractor in a farm field? No ... I'ma Lisa Douglas, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all make me smile and laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a meme!
    Alas I have done nothing of these, having grown up in the 'burbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you grew some tomatoes in the back yard last year.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous3/13/2017

    1. Cock
    2. Get a life.
    3. I grew a bell pepper once.
    4. Free range.
    5. No but I am strangely excited by the idea.
    JP

    ReplyDelete