Saturday, February 13, 2016

Justice Scalia is dead


I am still trying to figure out how I feel about the death of Justice Scalia.  

I met Justice Scalia at a fund raiser for my law school a few years ago.  He had a sharp mind, and sense of humor.  He knew how to write legal opinions that were entertaining and informative. A few year's ago he co-authored a great book on legal writing, I recall publishing a glowing review of the book.  He talked of a deep commitment to original intent in interpreting the Constitution, that he stuck to - when it supported his views. Not always.  

He was always good for interesting questions in oral arguments.  He and Justice Thomas passed notes and whispered to one another during open court.  The Court will not be the same without him. 

I seldom agreed with Scalia's point of view on social issues.  I could agree with him on contract, property and criminal law. My gut reaction when I heard of his death was not polite - not kind.  I will let that pass without being said, and say that the Court will not be the same without him.  May the future move to the middle. 

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/14/2016

    I'm not American but I believe that your hope of the future moving to the middle would be good for the entire planet.

    ~ Freckles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I leave it to you lawyers to please sort out what is next with some dignity and fairness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur with your thoughts. Eloquently stated.

    ReplyDelete