Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Why I need a kitchen when I am traveling

I love to cook, I enjoy artistically putting ingredients together and creating something interesting, and tasty.  I enjoy good knife work, getting ingredients ready to cook, and the act of cooking.  It really is alchemy, cooking transforms ingredients into something different.

Part of this is the search for great ingredients. When I am home, I go to the local farmers markets, ethnic markets, and specialty supermarkets.  I don't have a food budget, don't pay much attention to what I spend. Quality and selection is much more important then money when I am buying edibles.  When I travel I visit local markets, supermarkets, and farmers markets and you never know what you are going to find.  Truffles for 1-euro a gram.  When I can find them in the US, truffles are 3-4 times that price.  And I didn't have access to a kitchen,  Oh my, I was mildly heartbroken.  Next trip!  

1 comment:

  1. I would like to bring home imperial tidbits too if / when I travel.

    ReplyDelete