Sunday, March 29, 2015

What Was I Thinking

Great Shoes On This Guy, Why Not?

Over a few decades I have learned to practice active visualization.  Sounds fancy, it isn't.  When my mind is idle like when I am falling asleep, I think about things in the past that I find pleasant, or where I want to be in the future.  Past experiences are fun, I can approach the edge of the Grand Canyon, or board a Paris Metro train in my mind.  The memories are vivid and the pleasure is real.  Future visualization is a chance to dream about where I want to be in the future.  In doing this, I direct where my mind goes.  If my mind starts to go to dark or scary places, I can direct it to things I want to think about.  

I use this technique when I fall asleep, often like 4 or 5 nights a week.  I also use it when I need to be quiet.  Time flies when I am relaxing and focusing my thoughts on pleasant memories. I can make an hour fly by on an airline flight, or ten minutes waiting in the dentist chair.  I have to think into the distant future, if I think of tomorrow or next week, my mind is too active.  If I think of something months or years away, it works in the subconscious.  

Thirty years ago the boss sent the sales and marketing department out for a seminar, that turned out to be run by a stoner from Hawaii.  He was the first person to introduce me to relaxation and visualization.  If I could find him, I would buy him a drink. His material on controlling the mind, has meant more to me then his dribble about understanding the psychology of the buyer.  

5 comments:

  1. not everyone could pull off a certain look with those shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without the right pants (and the right but) they looked a little like slippers.

      Delete
  2. Sensible fellow, to practice what you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it helps keep me balanced

      Delete
  3. "Active visualization" it's called? I've been doing this for years. Helps me greatly to relax and deal with the present. I think of pleasant memories from my past and plans for my future. Never knew there was a name for it before. I learn a lot from your blog. You're good David. (smile)

    ReplyDelete