Sunday, March 15, 2015

Express Yourself!

The routine things in life need not be boring.  Have fun with what you wear. Shoes have become more functional for me as my feet have gotten older then the rest of me, but I own a lot of fun shoes.  I started buying fun shoes in the mid-1980's, then I discovered Colours by Alexander Julian who made the most wonderful patterned and textured socks. I still wear the most outrageous socks.

When we moved to Kentucky in 1995, I had a year to fill before I started law school, after a few days I grew bored with being around the house and took the first job that was offered, selling ladies shoes in a department store.  It was an interesting experience.  I learned to judge a person by the shoes they wear.  Boring shoes = afraid of life, utilitarian shoes = needs comfort, tiger striped patent leather with spikes on the heels = not afraid to express him-self.  It took me several years to get to the point that I could meet someone without immediately looking at their shoes. I was occasionally mistaken for an actuary or statistician. You can tell the difference between in introverted actuary and extroverted actuary.  The extroverted actuary looks down at your shoes when they talk to you.  Either that or the person sold shoes for 9 months 20 years ago and is still trying to recover from the experience. It was a fun job, the most mindless job I have ever had.  The department manager told me one day that if she wanted me to think, she would pay me more (I didn't stay too long after that.)

Have some fun, wear something that reflects your personality.  This summer I have declared Spo-Shirt or Hawaiian shirt Fridays.


8 comments:

  1. ooooooooooooooooooooooh, sounds like a great idea!

    I put my colorful side into my hand knits, be it a sweater of a shawl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next winter could be hand made sweater Friday for you

      Delete
  2. My best shoes were donated by a kind filipino

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next ones will have spikes on the heels

      Delete
  3. Purple shoes around here, when I can find em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In that case you need a proper Spo-shirt and no rubbish
    Do text me for details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to work with a guy we called "Shoe-topper". That's the only place he ever looked while talking to you.

    I have one pair of fun shoes: Nikes, that are in rainbow colors. I wear them to youth group, one of the few places where I can truly gay it up. The rest are utilitarian: loafers, easy on/off, and comfy, trail shoes for walking distances, mukluks for winters like this one!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete