Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Moving Around


One of the things that attracted me to DC area was access to great transit.  I have options.  I can drive to the office, it is about 10 miles each way, in what can be terrible traffic, I seldom drive. How seldom, 3-4 times in 5 1/2 years.  I ride metro rail, the subway most of the time.  It is about a 12 minutes walk from my condo to the station, tag into the system and sit back and relax.  Metro has it's moments when it does not work, but it works well 95% of the time.  There are buses that run from the station, or the main road on the other side of the condo complex (US-1.)  I seldom use the buses, I have never commuted to work by bus, but I could.  A mile an a half from home, I can take a passenger train into the city.  Amtrak, or Virginia Railway Express both stop at King Street in Alexandria.  VRE stops at a station in the south side of DC, I can take Bike-Share from there. About 100 days last year, I rode my bike to the office.  I have rode a few times this spring, and look forward to more stable weather so I can get back into riding 2-3 days a week. The DC area has a great bike sharing system know as Capital Bikeshare.  I use bikeshare for local trips in town. The river is an underutilized transit option. There is a river taxi from Old Town Alexandria to National Harbor, just across the river in Maryland.  In the summer there has long been a river taxi from Old Town Alexandria to Georgetown. Starting this spring there is river taxi service to West Potomac Park, near the FDR memorial and the bookends.  I need to try this route, it would connect me to bikeshare, back to a metro station and home. I have my hair cut more often then I need to fill my car with gas.   

3 comments:

  1. about TIME that the potomac gets used as a transportation alternative!

    driving anywhere down there blows goats; spouse used to take metro to his maryland job (springfield to new carrollton). I had to drive to falls church (not a metro accessable location).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4/24/2014

    I do so wish the Richmond REGION understood mass transit. There is literally NO WAY for me to get to work via public transportation, resulting in a miserable 22 mile commute each way, that takes at least 30 minutes. Not to mention $35 worth of gas and $15 in tolls each and every week. I'd gladly pay for a bus ride!

    I love using the Metro to get around in DC. Very nice! You're a lucky man.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete